what to do for a living-could really use some help with this

or I have no clue to my path.

3 replies to this topic

#1 scottishjade

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Interests:Violin, piano, drawing, writing, reading, gardening, wreath or candle making, hiking.

Posted 02 April 2018 - 04:04 AM

That might be weird but I don't have a career, a profession ....or even a thing. It gets to get into a lot but I didn't have a chance to finish my education because I had to make ends meet, etc. (English Major so ....maybe not the most helpful degree but a lot of place like a 4 year on principle) .

I have figured out that environments with lots of people and face time are not for me. I I worked in fashion retail for a large corporation for many years... Too many individual energies and I can give great customer service but there is an internal part of me that goes into a shutdown.

Too old for physical jobs like waiting tables, I tried to go back and that ship has sailed!

I sold real estate and loved the transaction part-making the deal- but not so much the driving-that created back problems that I still have and my interest in real estate is in investing for myself but without cash on hand or an income to aquire a loan, it seems like that is a dream forever on the back burner. I think I like the organization, creativity of the possibilities, balanced with hard numbers and I love the autonomy. Ideally I would spend my time managing my properties...if I had some.

I did do catering coordination years ago, again food service isn't a physical possibility, but I loved the creative side and the organizing...downside-lots of face time with clients and mother's of the brides.

Accounting is nice because there isn't a lot of face time, the numbers are finite and I like the analytical part- if someone is unhappy with the numbers then they can talk to operations or middle management, not me..... can be a pretty quiet. I do like to chat and have some social aspect to the work environment. I like that analytical part and finiteness but there is very little creativity involved.

I completely understand where Irish Eyes is coming from as far as working in midlife. I have been at home for several years now raising my daughter and she is in her middle school years and in a highly time consuming sport . She doesn't need me except for drop off and pick up really. I want a job but re entering is , well tough!

I went to wait tables at an assisted living place, I lasted 3 days, all the energies, physically brutal-concrete floor and many, many feet from kitchen to dining- worse floor I have waited tables on. Then there was the way some were treated-couldn't stomach it. You have to report any kind of abuse and then you have to work with the people you just reported. I should have never applied for that job and quickly wished I had looked for something more appropriate for me.

I feel like I didn't get a chance to really explore what I wanted to do. I think knowing what I know now, I would have pursed a Business degree.

My kids sport is hideously expensive and will become more so next year, no college money (although she is brilliant and could get an academic scholarship-)and I have no retirement. Running out of time, but also feel like I am too old to spend the majority of my time doing something that makes me unhappy.

I do have a once a week housekeeping job that I have had for 8 years. The building is moldy and I get sick for a couple days after each time.

Anyone?

#2 aletheia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:34 PM

sounds like you might really enjoy event planning and coordinating. you can work with church groups, women's groups, fairs of all nature -- from holiday crafts to alternative health. there are also the smaller venues like family get togethers, anniversaries, monumental birthdays, milestone career dates. i'd think there would be a great deal of freedom in this kind of work.

:) ali

#3 scottishjade

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Interests:Violin, piano, drawing, writing, reading, gardening, wreath or candle making, hiking.

Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:59 AM

ha ha that is funny, that is exactly what my daughter said after she used her "spirit eyes" to answer the question, she said she put all the pieces of the question in a bag and shook it up, then pulled out catering and party coordinator, I did that years ago in my 20's

#4 scottishjade

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:24 PM

I can't do that kind of work physically anymore, but it was fun.Nights and weekends too, no kid back then.

Reply to this topic

This post will need approval from a moderator before this post is shown.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users